Career Center targets CCAS majors for job preparedness

To aid graduating seniors in liberal arts programs prepare for the workforce, the Career Center will provide weekly targeted resources to students in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences leading up to graduation.

The Career Center regularly offers job-search support for seniors during the spring semester, but beginning this year, students in CCAS will receive a 10-week series of e-mails highlighting special services and programs.

“We wanted to focus outreach this year to liberal arts students, who due to the nature of their diverse majors and interests, may find it challenging to figure out how to transition their transferable skills into a career since they are not in specialized fields such as business or finance,” Jeffrey Dagley, communications coordinator for the Career Center, said.

The e-mails will provide CCAS seniors with information on networking events, support groups and consultations hosted by the Career Center from March to May.

“This is the first year the Career Center has done this,” Dagley said. “It’s part of an initiative to further help prepare graduating seniors for the transition from GW to the world of work.”

The pilot e-mail sent out last week provided CCAS students with information regarding the Spring 2011 Career and Internship Fair taking place March 8, as well as information on meeting with a career consultant to begin a startup plan for after college.

“We’ve also created a program this semester, Senior Job Search Group, that is held every other week during the semester and features topics of interest to graduating seniors,” Dagley said.

Students in the job search groups will receive help in identifying their strengths, learning how to market to employers, conducting good interviews, developing resumes targeted to a variety of employers and preparing for the career fair.

“For some events, such as the career fair, once a student RSVPs, the [Career] Center follows up with e-mails weekly to students with tips about how to prepare for the career fair,” Anne Scammon, director of career learning and experience in the Career Center, said.