Greek-life GPAs on par with GW average

The mean grade point average among GW’s Greek-letter community is on par with that of the general student body, according to a report by the Greek-life office.

Last semester, the average GPA of the general student body was 3.26, while the average GPA of the entire Greek-life community was 3.25 – an improvement from 2008 when the Greek-life GPA trailed the undergraduate average by 0.11 points .

The average GPA for women in Panhellenic Association sororities was 3.30, just under the 3.31 average of the entire female student body.

Men in Interfraternity Council fraternities had an average GPA of 3.18, slightly lower than the male student body’s GPA average of 3.20.

The two highest-ranked chapters were Phi Beta Sigma and Alpha Nu Omega, but the Office of Greek Life declined to publish those chapters’ averages because the chapters have less than three members each. Phi Beta Sigma is a multicultural fraternity and Alpha Nu Omega is a Christian fraternity and sorority.

Bdho Gidey, president of Phi Beta Sigma, said academics are highly prized in his fraternity and members hold writing workshops to learn from one another.

Alpha Delta Pi was the third-highest chapter – and highest among the Panhellenic sororities – with a GPA average of 3.43. Pi Beta Phi ranked fourth with a 3.40 average.

Sigma Phi Epsilon, ranked fifth overall, had the highest GPA among the IFC fraternities with a 3.39 average.

Adam Kelsey, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, said he and the other members of his fraternity are very proud of last semester’s academic performance.

“The chapter prides itself on helping our members achieve balance during their college experience and diligence in the classroom is an integral component,” Kelsey said. “We plan on continuing our strong academic efforts, as well as our work towards our philanthropic and social goals, into the next semester.”

Interfraternity Council standards require each individual chapter to set its own minimum GPA standards. If a member of a chapter falls below that standard, then he will be required to appear before the chapter’s standards board. This board then assigns that particular brother with mandatory study hours, a fine, suspension or a combination of the three.

Alpha Delta Pi is consistently one of the top-ranked sororities. The sorority had the highest GPA of the entire Greek-life system in 2009, with a semester GPA average of 3.35. In 2009, the fraternities were led by Alpha Epsilon Pi, which scored a semester GPA average of 3.33.

Kappa Alpha had the lowest fall semester GPA among IFC fraternities with a 2.74 average, and Sigma Delta Tau had the lowest among the sororities with a semester GPA of 3.15.

During the spring’s Greek Excellence Awards, chapters can receive recognition for high GPAs, philanthropic efforts and more with bronze, silver and gold rankings. Top ranking chapters are eligible for a house on Townhouse Row.