Shadow Room liquor license unresolved

A local nightclub is waiting to learn the fate of its liquor license, after the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board failed to come to a decision Wednesday on whether or not to dismiss a protest against the club’s license renewal.

Shadow Room owner Swaptak Das formally requested the board dismiss the protest, citing an unresolved mediation meeting between himself and a resident protesting the license renewal.

The ABC Board now has 90 days to make its decision, Cynthia Simms, a spokeswoman for the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration, said.

The board has “taken the matter under advisement,” Simms said.

Das said Friday he is unsure what the board’s decision would be, saying chances are “50-50.” He said he believes that if his request for dismissal fails, his case would do well in the final hearing.

“I’m confident with our record,” he said.

Das said during the hearing Wednesday, Florence Harmon, a commissioner of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, and another resident, Chris Labas, made arguments for why the protest against the license renewal should continue.

Harmon represented the ANC, which had previously voted 6-0 against the club’s liquor license renewal. Labas represented a citizen-based protest group of five residents, which includes Harmon.

Harmon declined to comment for this article.

The conflict over Shadow Room’s liquor license began this fall when five residents filed a complaint against the club, citing loud noise and disruptive behavior. Shadow Room is located in Foggy Bottom at 2131 K St.

The date of the next ABC Board hearing has not been scheduled yet. If the protest is dismissed, the protest groups can still appeal the decision.