Alumnus hopes for big win in Superbowl

Alumnus Noah Rothstein has a lot riding on the Packers vs. Steelers game this weekend.

He didn’t bet on the game, but he does have $1 million at stake.

The former Colonial, who graduated from GW in 2005 with a degree in electronic media, paired up with Brad Bosley, a finalist in the Pepsi Max Crash the Super Bowl Ad Contest and if their ad takes the top spot in the USA Today Ad Meter, the team will get a big check from Pepsi Max. But we won’t find out if his commercial made the cut until it airs – or doesn’t – during the game.

The comedic ad, entitled “Love Hurts,” depicts a young man being constantly berated by his girlfriend for his unhealthy eating habits. The girlfriend is impressed, however, when he chooses to drink a low-calorie Pepsi Max.

“Then he shot it, sent me the footage the next day, I started editing the sound and everything, and we made the deadline,” Rothstein said.

The competition received over 5,600 submissions this year, the most in the history of the competition.

From the contenders, Pepsi Max selected five finalists, including Rothstein and Bosley’s “Love Hurts.” The videos were then posted online for viewers to vote for their favorite submissions. The three top-ranked ads will air during Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6. The filmmaker who creates the highest-ranking ad will also win a contract to create an ad for both Pepsi Max and Doritos in the coming year.

The voting closed Jan. 31, but the victorious filmmakers will not be revealed until Super Bowl Sunday.

Rothstein – who recently returned to Foggy Bottom for his five-year reunion – became involved in media arts in high school, which motivated him to apply to GW.

“My parents really encouraged me, especially to get into film, too,” Rothstein said. “Editing is what I really love to do.”

After being accepted to GW’s film program, Rothstein spent his years at GW producing and editing various pieces for GWTV with a focus on news gathering, but also created a short film inspired by MTV’s “Punk’d.” To Rothstein, the University provided a “good stepping stone” into grad school and for him to pursue video editing as a career.

“I loved GW – becoming an adult on your own in D.C. was a really great experience. Nothing compares to growing up in D.C.,” Rothstein said.

Rothstein is now a freelance film and television editor operating primarily out of Los Angeles. He has worked on productions for HBO, Showtime, Lifetime and the Discovery Channel. He has also produced many of his own works, including a film entitled, “The Lutheran,” which earned numerous awards, including Best Student Film at the 2008 D.C. Independent Film Festival.