Sex Column: A hormone’s double standard

This is hard for me to say, but there is no sugarcoating it; so I guess I will just come right out and say it – I’m a guy.

I’m a member of that gender of douche bags, jerks, pricks, meatheads, SOB’s, bastards – feel free to throw your own word in here. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of who I am personally, but I’m not oblivious to the habits of my gender.

Habits that include slinking off into the night, not calling back, ignoring the girl the next time we see her, cheating, narcissism and a general phobia of commitment.

Though I consider myself a man who does not tend to follow in the footsteps well worn by my gender, I am sure there are a handful of women scoffing at what I just said. When I came to school, I was genuinely surprised that we men are so damn good at following through with the typical college boy stereotype.

In high school, my male classmates were not saints, not by a long shot, but college seems to be the big leagues of hit-it-and-quit-it. For a while, I wondered why men were so inclined to be jerks. There are instances where women are the guilty party, but for the most part guys take the blame.

But in my time of confusion, I discovered some scientific evidence to support the difference between the actions of women and men. And the answer came by the name of oxytocin.

Oxytocin is a hormone released during sex. Nicknamed the “cuddle” or “love hormone,” oxytocin manifests a feeling of intimacy and connection between you and your sexual counterpart. However, the hormone is more than just an instant connection. Oxytocin affects women more strongly than men due to its combination with estrogen, while testosterone inhibits the effects of the “love hormone,” according to Steven Johnson’s article, “Emotions and the Brain: Love.”

Now, this does not excuse all of the less-than-redeemable qualities that men display far too often. It is also not a get out of jail free card or a getaway car for the less than cuddly male party. I’m not encouraging all men to roll over after sex, shrug and blame oxytocin before getting dressed and walking out the door. The role the hormone plays simply explains why men typically are “not looking for anything serious.”

Ladies, I understand your discouragement caused by my gender, but before you swear off men forever, it may be helpful to keep oxytocin in mind. Next time you and your girlfriends go off on guys, take a second to hate on Mother Nature as well.