MPD increases Metro patrols

The Metropolitan Police Department will step up enforcement near the Foggy Bottom Metro this month after an increase in assaults over the past few months.

The number of assaults near the Foggy Bottom Metro nearly tripled since October, compared to the same time period in 2009, MPD Captain Melvin Gresham said, prompting the increased security.

Gresham added there was also a 56 percent increase in burglaries, and a 5 percent increase in thefts of objects like cell phones.

The data was taken from a 1,500-foot radius around the intersection of 24th and I streets between Oct. 1, 2010 and Jan. 4, 2011.

Gresham said MPD dedicated three officers to oversee the coordination of officers in the area by the Metro to address the increase in crime.

The officers will also monitor the area around City Hall due to the residence hall’s close proximity to the Metro. Gresham said MPD would increase its presence near the residence hall since winter months tend to bring an increase in theft and robberies.

“Their mission is to address all criminal activity in the area,” Gresham said.

Gresham said MPD officers will also be “on foot interacting with the public,” in an attempt to stop violence near the Metro.

He said theft prevention is a collaborative effort, and MPD will be working closely with the University Police Department to help keep the area safe.

“When criminals are contemplating a crime and see officers frequently on patrol, they tend to go elsewhere,” Hay said.