College Republicans kick off annual dinner series

An Iowa congressman praised the GW College Republicans for campaigning against “freedom-restricting” and “socialist” Democratic lawmakers Thursday night.

Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, handed out advice to the politically active students, and told the dinner guests that if they believed in themselves, they “shouldn’t sit back smugly thinking someone else is going to understand.”

“Every one of you did something to contribute to [the Republican majority],” King said.

King said the first initiative of the new Republican House majority should be to repeal “Obamacare,” the term for President Barack Obama’s health care plan.

“[Obama] is a one-term president, that I believe,” King said.

The series began last year with an event on the Mount Vernon Campus, with outspoken Congressman Joe Wilson, R-S.C., who spoke to students after his “you lie” outburst at President Obama’s State of the Union address.

“It’s a really great opportunity to get to be in this intimate setting with Congressional leaders. And the fact that we’re in D.C., we should take total advantage of everything we have,” said Sinead Casey, a spokesperson for the CRs.

The series is designed to provide CR members an intimate setting with Congressional leaders from both halls of Congress.

“[The dinner] is more of a raw view of policy and what’s going on in Washington and politics that you don’t get to see from a speech, you don’t get to see from a lecture or watching these people on cable news,” Casey said.