University hires director for Greek-letter life

The University hired a director for GW’s growing Greek-Letter life community earlier this week, who said she believes GW could be the “premier Greek community in the U.S.”

Christina Witkowicki will replace former Greek-letter life Director Dean Harwood, who left in June after five years at GW. She said her main goals are to build community among Greek-letter groups on campus and ensure that the three Greek-letter governing bodies on campus represent the needs and wants of the community’s members.

Based on her interactions with Greek-letter life presidents thus far, Witkowicki said she is impressed with the caliber and intellect of the students involved in Greek-letter life at GW.

“They were more than happy to share their challenges as well as their successes and were open about who they are,” she said. “It showed that the community is in a good place but still have so much potential that has yet to be realized.”

As the Greek-letter life director, Witkowicki said it is her role to show members what “the grand, big-picture possibilities are, help them identify what is important to them and then help the members make that happen on their campus.”

“This community belongs to the students and they should have the majority of the responsibility and opportunity of deciding where it goes,” she said. “I just help them get to where they want to go and challenge them to think big along the way.”

Witkowicki said she wants to build community among the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Association and the Multicultural Greek Council, in part by establishing an “activities council” for the three governing organizations and their member chapters. She said she also wants to help the MGC become a more visible group on campus.

She added that she would like to see the three governing councils be more effective in representing the needs of their member organizations and upholding the Greek-letter community’s standards.

Witkowicki – a member of Alpha Xi Delta during her time as an undergraduate at the University of New Hampshire – said being a part of Greek-letter life shaped how she interacts with others, and that she is excited to help provide the same experience for students at GW.

“For me, membership in my sorority is what gave me my undergraduate experience,” Witkowicki said.

Witkowicki is leaving a Greek director position at Bentley University in Waltham, Mass., and will start at GW Nov. 8.