Sports In Brief

Myers and Wilson earn preseason A-10 honors

Women’s basketball junior guard Tiana Myers, was named to the preseason All-Atlantic 10 Third Team and redshirt sophomore forward Brooke Wilson was named to the preseason A-10 All-Defensive Team, the conference announced Wednesday.

The conference also released its 2010-2011 preseason poll, in which the Colonials are predicted to finish ninth. Voting for the poll is conducted by A-10 coaches.

Myers, who spent much of last season playing point guard instead of her natural position as a shooting guard, led GW in scoring with 12.6 points per game as a sophomore. Her free throw percentage of .768 last season was 12th best in the A-10.

Wilson, a 2010 A-10 All-Rookie Team selection, placed in the top six in the conference in both rebounding and steals last season with 7.9 and 2.1 per game, respectively. Her rebounds-per-game average was the highest for a GW women’s basketball player since the 1995-1996 season.

The Colonials, who return all five starters from last season’s team, will open their season at the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis against Coppin State.

Myers wins second consecutive A-10 award

Freshman swimmer Caroline Myers was named Atlantic 10 Rookie Swimmer of the Week Monday, earning the award for the second consecutive week.

Myers won four events in GW’s meet Sunday against Bucknell, placing first in the 200-yard freestyle, 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley and swimming the anchor leg for GW’s first place 400-yard freestyle relay team that finished just two seconds shy of the GW record for that event.

Myers is the first Colonials swimmer to earn back-to-back A-10 Rookie Swimmer of the Week awards since Kristen Fagley achieved the honor in the 2001-2002 season.

Number Crunch: 2

The number of games the women’s soccer team needs to win this weekend to clinch a spot in the A-10 tournament.