Quick Takes

“Belle and Sebastian Write About Love”
Belle & Sebastian
(Matador Records)

The eighth album from Scottish-born group Belle and Sebastian certainly pays homage to their former work, while also keeping fans interested by changing things up a bit. While catchy hits like “I Want the World To Stop” are great for singing along, songs like “I Didn’t See It Coming” are great for casual listening. The single and title song “Write About Love” features actress Carey Mulligan on vocals, which is sure to attract a wide audience of new fans with her pure voice. For new and old Belle and Sebastian fans alike, the eighth album does not disappoint.

Kelsey Grashoff

“Come Around Sundown”
Kings of Leon
(RCA)

Kings of Leon know exactly what their fans want – beating drums and bass paired with soaring vocals that could go from Billy Dee Williams to cat scratch. Their newest fan fodder is “Come Around Sundown.” It is quintessentially southern garage and arena rock, what Kings of Leon do best. “Back Down South” could be taken as a rodeo anthem while “The End” already has thousands of musical amateurs on YouTube attempting its intense basslines. The band has learned to chill out on “Mary” and “No Money,” which lacks lead vocalist Anthony Caleb Followill’s snarl. Possibly the Tennessee boys are trying something new, but it is a sure thing that their fans will be eating out of their innovative hands no matter what.?

Rachel Lubitz

“Mobile Chateau”
Matt Costa
(Brushfire Records)

When former skateboard pro Matt Costa signed with Brushfire Records – owned by singer-songwriter Jack Johnson – in 2005, his songs were happy-go-lucky and tranquil. One couldn’t listen to Costa’s single “Cold December” without being completely at peace with oneself. With his new album “Mobile Chateau,” Costa roots himself in the past. In other words, his new material has a certain psychedelic feel to it rather than the calming factor his previous albums had. Retro ’60s harmonies overwhelm the songs and strip Costa of his contemporary sound. “Mobile Chateau” may have lost many of Costa’s fans when he took this stark change in direction.?

Melanie Emas

“The Rock and the Tide”
Joshua Radin
(Mom + Pop Records)

I think it’s fair to say that boredom breeds innovation. Such is the case with Joshua Radin’s new album, “The Rock and the Tide.” But this new development is no secret. On the track “Here We Go,” Radin announces, “I’m starting over. So here we go. Here we go.” The album experiments with all kinds of sounds, from static guitar solos to violin accompaniments to synthesizers and keys. In truth, Radin’s latest album has a little bit of everything. However, Radin fanatics be warned – this album is no “Garden State” soundtrack. But for those faithful followers who are looking for something new, here’s your chance.

Patrick Rochelle