New restaurants coming to The Avenue in May

Handmade burgers, milkshakes, locally made beer and a raw bar will be added to Foggy Bottom’s food options as new restaurants at The Avenue development open next year.

Passion Food Hospitality and Chef Jeff Tunks’ sixth and seventh restaurants – District Commons and Burger, Tap & Shake – will have a home in a 14-story office building off Washington Circle this spring, part of the Square 54 property. The twist? The two restaurants will be sharing only one kitchen.

Passion Food owners David Wizenberg, Gus DiMillo and Tunks said they are excited to set up shop in the Foggy Bottom community.

“We really feel this location is so great because it is in between downtown and Georgetown. It has such opportunity,” said DiMillo, the partnership’s primary marketer.

He went on to describe The Avenue as “a whole neighborhood being created.”

“We want to be a part of that; it will be a great addition for the Foggy Bottom neighborhood,” DiMillo said.

The three business partners have had a presence in the District for over a decade, opening their first venue, D.C. Coast, in 1998. They are also the creators of the popular restaurants Acadiana, Ceiba, TenPenh and PassionFish. This is their first venture in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.

Their next two eateries are expected to begin construction in early January. They plan on opening the restaurants for business in the first week of May.

The first restaurant, District Commons, will feature an assortment of American fare, including a raw bar, creative flatbreads and an antique slicer paired with locally cured meats. An extensive dessert menu and even larger domestic beer selection complete the deal.

Burger, Tap & Shake will have a more low-key vibe, offering hamburgers, homemade buns and pickles. Milkshakes and hand-cut French fries will also be offered at the eatery.

Wizenberg, DiMillo and Tunks are equally enthused to join the Foggy Bottom community, and hope to accept GWorld at both locations.

“We’re trying to work with GW to get GWorld to work. We would really like to make it happen,” DiMillo said.

Tunks, a Texas native, said he has enjoyed thoughtfully creating two unique menus.

“It’ll be fun to do two concepts in one. We’re really fortunate to have a large kitchen to do everything from scratch.”