Sports In Brief

Volleyball wins pair of
five-set matches

The volleyball team took its winning ways to the road this weekend, topping Rhode Island Friday night in Kingston, R.I., and beating Fordham Saturday in the Bronx.

Against Rhode Island Friday, the Colonials rebounded after dropping the first set to win 3-2. GW rallied in the decisive fifth set after falling behind 6-4 to win the set 15-11 and clinch the team’s second straight Atlantic 10 victory.

GW was led offensively by sophomore Lauren Whyte, who had 21 kills and 14 digs against Rhode Island. Reigning A-10 Defensive Player of the Week Katie Zulandt also had a strong performance, with four blocks and 10 kills in the win.

Saturday against Fordham, GW again won in five sets, three of which required extra points to decide a winner. Whyte, who leads the A-10 in both kills and points, had 20 kills and 21 points, both team highs.

The wins brought the Colonials’ record in five-set matches this season to 4-3 and put GW in third place in the A-10 behind No. 10 Dayton and Xavier. GW has been on a roll as of late, winning seven of its last nine games dating back to Sept. 18.

The Colonials will be back home later this week, taking on La Salle in the Smith Center this Thursday at 7 p.m.

Men’s water polo goes 1-3 on West Coast road trip

The men’s water polo team went 1-3 over the weekend in the two-day Claremont Convergence tournament in California. GW opened the tournament Friday against California Baptist and struggled to keep pace with the nationally ranked Lancers. The Colonials fell behind 6-1 after the first quarter and were down 14-3 after three quarters before a fourth-quarter scoring outburst from GW that made the final score 16-7.

GW stayed close in its second game Friday, trailing 7-5 at halftime against Division III Chapman. The Panthers ripped off four goals in the third quarter though to pull away from GW and managed to keep the Colonials at bay down the stretch to earn the 12-10 win.

The Colonials opened day two with a win Saturday, topping La Verne 10-9. GW was led by freshman Nate Little, who scored five goals in the win, including the game winner with just over a minute and a half left.

The team closed out the tournament with an 8-3 loss, its third defeat of the weekend, to Division III Redlands. Little was again the offensive force for the Colonials with four goals in the loss. Sophomore goalkeeper Cameron Illes recorded 13 saves against Redlands.

The Colonials will be off until Oct. 16, when they’ll head to Lewisburg, Pa., to take on Bucknell.

Number Crunch: 11

The number of consecutive games in which the women’s soccer team has held its opponent to one goal or fewer.