Panel speaks to issues within China

Experts on the economic development of China discussed widespread issues happening within the country during a panel discussion at the Elliott School of International Affairs Friday.

For the third annual G2 at GW conference, sponsored by the Sigur Center for Asian Studies and the Center for International Business Education and Research, three panelists discussed being in China and the research they had completed as professors at international universities.

Ming Lu, a professor from Fudan University in Shanghai, said the Chinese government’s restrictions on businesses have prevented them from growing larger. Lu also said that the structure of the country made it difficult for citizens to make shifts in their economic abilities.

“Inter-region and rural to urban migration constraints” has led to citizens not being able to move beyond their life-long career paths, Lu said.

Tian Feng, who is currently doing research as a Fulbright Scholar at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said that it was the continuous exportation of goods that has prevented China from growing economically in the global marketplace.

Feng said that while China exports goods to countries all over the world, little of what they produce is kept within the country. Even less is imported in from other international countries.

During the day-long summit, panel discussions covered all facets of China’s future, including its relationship with the United States, the country’s engagement in Africa, and the landscape of Chinese politics.

“This event allows for China’s point of view to be presented,” said Kyle Renner, an executive at the International Institute for Education Planning, which works frequently with the ESIA. “At most conferences in D.C., people hear Americans who study China’s economy talking rather than people who have lived through it.”

Steve Suranovic, a GW associate professor of economics and international affairs who moderated the discussion, said that Friday’s summit was held in correlation with the weekend’s IMF and World Bank meetings.

“This conference is about looking at broader issues and important developments over time,” Suranovic said. “This is an annual event because the U.S.-China economic relationship is relevant.”

Students in the audience said they came because of the educational rewards that can come from hearing experts discuss a situation like this.

“As an international affairs major, specializing in China, this is very interesting to me,” said sophomore Ryan Waye.