Fraternities seek to remove IFC president

Seven fraternity leaders are attempting to strip the president of the Interfraternity Council of his title, accusing him of abusing the power of his position and charging him with failing to carry out basic job duties.

In a letter sent Friday to all fraternity presidents and IFC President Bill Hulse, the writers allege Hulse spent nearly $1,000 on an executive board transition dinner for 12 people, without prior authorization from the IFC Presidents’ Council – a division of the IFC that includes every IFC fraternity president and Hulse. When the Student Association would not reimburse the funds, the letter states that Hulse used IFC membership dues to cover the cost.

The letter also blamed Hulse for the drop in turnout fraternities saw during this fall’s rush season, and alleged that he showed up at another fraternity member’s private residence to “monitor” potential new members who were considering rushing his own fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi.

“[Hulse] overstepped his powers multiple times while simultaneously not fulfilling the basic requirements of his position,” the letter said. “He has attempted to turn his position of service to fraternities into an enforcer without a mandate.”

The letter also charges Hulse with not making known to the presidents’ council that Pi Kappa Phi was on probation with the University. Hulse and Pi Kappa Phi President Christopher Rossi counter that claim, saying their chapter is not on probation. Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller did not return a request to comment on the discrepancy.

In addition, the letter, written by the presidents of Phi Kappa Psi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Chi and Pi Kappa Alpha, and signed by the presidents of Alpha Epsilon Pi, Zeta Beta Tau and Theta Delta Chi,also alleges that Hulse did not hold an IFC meeting to discuss rush before the rush period began. The letter also claims Hulse did not give GW Housing Programs information in time for fraternities to “dorm storm” residence halls on the their scheduled days. The lack of dorm storming, the presidents said, likely hindered turnout to rush events.

According to the IFC constitution, if an executive board member’s chapter is on probation, a vote of no confidence from six of the 16 serving fraternity presidents is enough to remove the executive board member from office. Otherwise, three-fourths of the presidents’ council may vote to impeach an executive board member for “neglect of duties, poor performance, or misconduct.” The presidents’ council will vote on the issue Tuesday.

“As fraternity presidents, we must hold our Interfraternity leaders and their decisions accountable to ensure that all of the fraternity’s best interests are taken into account,” Phi Kappa Psi President Carl Sceusa said in an interview.

Sigma Phi Epsilon President Nick Polk said they wrote the letter to let other fraternity presidents judge the IFC’s performance so far this year.

“The IFC is an organization that is intended to unite the fraternities and serve the fraternities, and when an IFC officer loses sight of this mission, a correction must be made,” Polk said.

The move to remove Hulse from his leadership position is the presidents’ council’s second attempt to strip power from Hulse and the IFC. Earlier this semester, the IFC lost its privilege to dole out funding to IFC fraternities, which was formerly a major role of the governing body.

Hulse admitted the transition dinner was “the one serious mistake I feel that I have made as IFC President, and wish I had the fortitude at the time to end what had been a long-standing tradition.”

He added that he is working to operate in a more financially responsible manner.

“I sincerely believe I have the support of my presidents’ council. I believe that after some reasonable discussion we will be prepared to move forward as a unified body,” Hulse said.

If Hulse is voted out of office on the probation charge Tuesday, IFC Vice President Travis Neuscheler would immediately assume the presidency. In the case of an impeachment hearing, an IFC judicial board would convene and make a recommendation for or against impeachment before the presidents’ council holds a final vote.

Oct. 12, 2010 Members of the IFC drop efforts to strip Hulse of title

Oct. 12, 2010 Fate of IFC president’s removal rests in bylaws, constitution and semantics