New Visitor Center to open this week

The Visitor Center on the first floor of the Marvin Center is officially scheduled to open this week.

Previously located in Smith Hall, the Visitor Center moved over the summer to make room for new classroom and academic space, University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said.

“The relocation of the Admissions Visitor Center to the Marvin Center is one component of the University’s overall plan to enhance space dedicated to academic learning and student activities,” Sherrard said. “This plan has been ongoing for some time now.”

Tours for prospective students have been proceeding as usual despite the move, Associate Vice President and Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Kathryn Napper said, adding that the new location of the Visitor Center will now “offer a more contemporary visit introduction to those visiting campus.”

“We believe that our new location will offer prospective students and families a terrific visit experience and will better integrate student and academic life into the visit program,” Napper said.

The new center, located off the first-floor lobby, will begin operations this week. However, it will be several more weeks until all of the audio and video technology will be available for presentations to prospective students and their families.

In August, Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz told The Hatchet that the project was expected to cost “a few hundred thousand dollars” and was outlined in the capital budget. The relocation of the center was part of a $3.4 million migration project, which includes moving other buildings on campus.

Junior Eric Shaeffer said he was impressed with the Visitor Center’s new appearance.

“It looks nice, for one,” Shaeffer said. “But I think it’s definitely a good idea for prospective students to see the Marvin Center and how much stuff is going on.”

Shaeffer added that he’s noticed GW is converting more space for academic facilities recently, including converting Ames Hall on the Mount Vernon Campus from a dining hall to an academic building.

“I think it’s a good idea because the reason we pay money is so they can educate us,” Shaeffer said.