GW sports weekend roundup

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team went 2-1 over the weekend in the UVa Holiday Inn Jefferson Cup, splitting its Friday games with a loss to Liberty and a win over Florida before topping tournament-host Virginia Saturday. GW placed second in the tournament overall, falling in a tiebreaker to the Cavaliers, whose 8-2 sets record in the two-day tournament topped GW’s 7-5 sets record.

Lauren Whyte led the Colonials in kills in all three games over the weekend with 16, 13 and 13, respectively. Senior Katie Zulandt led GW in hitting percentage against both North Florida and Virginia, hitting .556 against the Ospreys and .429 against the Cavaliers.

Zulandt and setter Katie Crosby were both named to the all-tournament team.

GW will hit the road again later this week for a road date Tuesday against UMBC, set for 6 p.m.

Men’s Cross Country

Senior Zach Borenstein led GW with a 13th-place finish at the Mount St. Mary’s 5K Duals last Friday, completing the course in just over 16 minutes. GW finished the race in third place as a team.

Sophomore David McCutcheon made his debut in the race for the Colonials after transferring from Cal Poly, finishing 19th with a time of 16 minutes, 15 seconds. Alex Dadds, also a sophomore, finished in 23rd place after improving his time from the same event last season by close to 40 seconds. Freshman Daniel Kleine also made his debut for the Colonials, finishing 24th.

Next up for GW is the Navy Invitational Sept. 18 in Annapolis, Md.

Women’s Cross Country

Senior Jessica Stern placed sixth for the Colonials in the Mount St. Mary’s 5K Duals Friday, but as a team, GW struggled and finished sixth in the six-team event. Junior Emily Foster finished in 30th place and sophomores Julia Weir and Heather Stevens placed 37th and 38th, respectively.

Held out of the race by GW head coach Brian Beil was 2009 All-American Megan Hogan, who placed 27th in last year’s NCAA Division I Championships.

GW will be in action again Sept. 18 in Annapolis, Md. for the Navy Invitational.

Men’s Water Polo

The men’s water polo team went 2-2 to open its season this weekend in the Navy Open, topping Penn State Behrend 17-7 and Queens College 9-7 and dropping contests against Mercyhurst and Atlantic 10 rival Fordham by scores of 5-3 and 11-5.

Against Penn State Behrend, GW got four of its 17 goals from sophomore John Paul Bezerra and three each from senior Peter Thomas and freshman Daniel Tyner. Tyner also led the Colonials offensively against Fordham, netting a pair of goals against the Rams in the loss.

Tyner once again shone on the second day of the tournament, scoring once in GW’s loss to Mercyhurst and five times in the Colonials’ win over Queens College.

The Colonials will hit the pool this Saturday for day one of the two-day Princeton Invitational in Princeton, N.J. There, GW will face Santa Clara, ranked 13th in preseason polls, along with Iona, Fordham and Harvard.