Spotlight On: Ding Ren

Whether she’s performing “Observations with a Typewriter” at the Lawrence A. Fleischman Gallery, receiving her master’s of fine arts degree from GW or teaching photography, Ding Ren is making a name for herself. Hatchet arts put the local artist and GW teaching assistant under the spotlight after her most recent performance where she observed visitors to the gallery in real time.

Hatchet arts: Who or what inspires you?

Ding Ren: I would say little everyday things like noticing the little plants that grow up between the cracks in the sidewalk or tidbits of conversation I pick up that I think would be a good idea to translate into a piece.

Hatchet: What inspired “Observations with a Typewriter”?

DR: There was this ongoing joke in grad school saying that my primary art medium was observing and pointing out things. A predominant part of my artwork is recording these everyday observational things that people might not notice in the first place.

Hatchet: Why a typewriter?

DR: One major thing that drew me to the typewriter is this idea of slowing down, which is a predominant theme in my artwork. It’s this idea of slowing down and taking a second to appreciate what one might not notice in the first place.

Hatchet: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

DR: The answer to that question always changes. I guess now I hope that I can be teaching and continuing to get exhibitions and furthering my work, but expanding on a national and international basis.

Hatchet: If you weren’t an artist, what would you do?

DR: I would definitely be an ornithologist, which is a scientist that studies birds.

Hatchet: What do you think students can learn from art?

DR: It takes work to be an artist and to be good at the craft. It’s not just an innate thing that some people have. Also, it makes you think and look at the world differently. I think that’s important for everyone to learn. That you have a different perspective, and that perspective is important.