Events you don’t want to miss

The Hatchet’s list of can’t-miss events are guaranteed excitement in your first months back to school, and are sure to show you a great time, both on campus and off.

D.C. Fashion Week: For the couture-obsessed, check out the District’s largest fashion exhibition during fashion week, Sept. 20-26. Featuring designers from around the world, some events are open to the public, though most require tickets that range from $25 to $45 for general admission.

National Book Festival: Stroll to the National Mall on Sept. 25 for the tenth annual National Book Festival. From 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m., you can participate in lectures and book signings by best-selling authors, including Ken Follett, Isabel Allende, Pulitzer Prize -winning poet Rae Armantrout, and GW professor Steven Roberts.

Cirque du Soleil’s “Ovo”: Cirque du Soleil comes to D.C. with its “Ovo” performance at The Plateau at the National Harbor. The show narrates the life of insects and is accentuated with Brazilian music and dance. Go on a weekday for student discounted tickets ranging from $49 to $117. “Ovo” plays Sept.9-Oct. 24.

Labor Day concert on the U.S. Capitol West Lawn: Enjoy a relaxed evening with the National Symphony Orchestra, which will perform its annual Labor Day concert on the West Lawn of the Capitol building Sept. 5. The concert is free and starts at 8 p.m., but gates to the West Lawn will open at 5 p.m.

Barenaked Ladies at Alumni Weekend: Rock out with the Barenaked Ladies in University Yard Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. as part of GW’s Alumni Weekend festivities. To be one of the 200 current students given a ticket, you’ll have to submit your name to a lottery system through the event’s website by Sept. 13.

Jimmy Fallon at GW for Colonial’s Weekend: You don’t want to miss the chance to laugh just as much at Jimmy Fallon as he does at himself. The comedian will present two performances over Colonials Weekend, Oct. 16 at the Charles E. Smith Center. A ticket for the 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. shows ranges from $35 to $75.

Latin American Dance Festival: Get ready to move those hips at D.C.’s first Latin American Dance Festival, Oct. 1-3. Each night will feature one performance, combining classical and contemporary music and dances from Cuba, El Salvador, Colombia, and Mexico. The event will take place at the Dance Place at 3225 8th Street NE. Tickets start at $30.