Discovering D.C. after midnight

As students descend on campus and resume their nocturnal lifestyles, exploring the District after dark becomes a priority equal to prepping for midterms. But instead of taking a midnight run to the monuments or grabbing a hot dog from Manoush (been there, done that), check out these suggestions that will take you off campus, out in the city and craving more.

Live music

For those nights when listening to your iPod just doesn’t cut it, visit the Black Cat for live independent music. Located in the heart of the U Street Corridor, this nightclub is a great place for students of all ages to hang out until the wee hours. Be sure to visit the Red Room for vintage pinball machines and some of the coolest jukeboxes in the city.

Coffee and books

If you’re looking for something laid-back, check out Busboys and Poets for a more artsy feel. This cozy spot is the perfect place to listen to inspiring jazz, catch a book signing or poetry reading or just enjoy the down-to-earth ambience. Stop by the open mic and talent showcase hosted by Ne’a Posey Sept. 3 at 11 p.m.

Game night

GW’s 12-lane public bowling center at the Hippodrome is the perfect place for an evening of bowling, air hockey, billiards, shuffleboard or even foosball. Bonus: It’s open Thursday through Saturday until 2 a.m. and is conveniently located on the fifth floor of the Marvin Center.

Midnight movies

The E Street Cinema, located just one block away from the Metro Center station, is a unique go-to spot for movie buffs, featuring movies and cartoons every Friday and Saturday at midnight. Check out The Rocky Horror Picture Show, an interactive, musical horror movie spoof Sept. 10 and 11. If horror-comedy movies aren’t your thing, try Pulp Fiction Sept. 3 and 4.

A night on the town

D.C. is overflowing with exciting clubs catering to both 18-and-over and 21-and-over crowds. Mark your calendars for the D.C. College Kickoff party at Lima Aug. 31. Ladies, time to get out those little black dresses. Lady Gaga will be hosting her official concert after party at Ultrabar Sept. 7. Clubs in the District are happening year round with other great places like Ibiza Nightclub, Eden and the Lux Lounge for the 21-and-over crowd.