Baseball takes two of three

The GW baseball team snapped out of its funk this weekend, winning the first and third games of a three-game series at Richmond to remain in second place in the Atlantic 10.

The Colonials (19-17, 9-3 A-10) won the series’ first game 11-8 after senior Tom Zebroski broke an eighth-inning tie with an RBI single and redshirt senior Chris Luick belted a grand slam later that same inning.

Game two saw GW score four runs in the ninth inning, including home runs by seniors Curtis Eward and Chris Holland, but come up one run short and lose 7-6.

Senior pitcher Eric Cantrell set the tone in Sunday’s series finale, allowing three runs and striking out 10 hitters in eight innings of work in what ended up as an 11-5 win. The Colonials recorded 19 hits in the game, with sophomore Stephen Oswald going 4-for-4 and driving in two runs and classmate Ryan Thomas recording three hits and also driving in two runs. Five other GW players got two hits in the game.

The Colonials will play at UMBC in a nonconference game Wednesday before hosting first-place Charlotte Friday through Sunday at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.

Number Crunch: 4

The number of runners that have run the 10-kilometer race faster than senior Megan Hogan has this year. Hogan came in fifth at the Stanford Invitational March 26.