Sports in Brief

Baseball beaten by Mason

Despite turning 10 hits and six walks into nine runs, the GW baseballteam lost 10-9 at George Mason in extra innings Wednesday for its second consecutive one-run loss.

The Colonials (9-8) and the Patriots exchanged early scoring bursts, with Mason’s 6-3 lead through three innings being erased by a trio of GW runs in the top of the fourth. The teams traded two and one-run frames over the next few innings and finished the first nine innings tied at nine runs apiece.

In the bottom of the 10th, Mason first baseman Dan Palumbo got on base with a lead-off single off GW junior Tommy Gately and eventually came around to score on a double from teammate Brig Tison that won the game for the Patriots.

Senior centerfielder Jon Chirumbolo was a perfect four-for-four at the plate, walking once and scoring three of GW’s runs. Seniors Chris Luick and Curtis Eward and freshman Robbie Haben each drove in two runs for the Colonials, with Luick recording two hits and also walking twice.

Sophomore Marshall Seedorff was the lone GW pitcher not to surrender a run, pitching two and two-thirds scoreless innings that spanned from the sixth until the ninth.

The Colonials will host Duquesne in a three-game series at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va. this weekend beginning Friday at 3 p.m.
– Dan Greene

Cricket learns at nationals

Despite less than ideal results on the pitch, GW’s club cricket team returned from the national championships in Florida this week with valuable insight into how to improve the team going forward.

“It was a great learning experience for us,” said freshman member Hugo Scheckter, adding that the tournament was “a bonding experience that definitely brought us closer together as a team.”

Despite falling short of the semifinals after a round of matches that included a narrow loss to local rival George Mason, GW was able to earn a spot in the top 20 of the national rankings.

The GW cricket team currently practices in the baseball batting cage at the Smith Center, but was competing against teams who regularly practice on grass pitches. The difference in surfaces alters the way the ball acts while in play, a discrepancy that Scheckter said takes some getting used to.

“If we had played all four games and then played them again there would have been very different results,” Scheckter said.

In addition to the national ranking, Scheckter said that many spectators commented on the skills of the GW players. They also earned attention from the head of athletics at the University of the West Indies, where cricket is a varsity sport, whom Scheckter said was “very excited about the progression of our team and may be looking for a future partnership.”

The team will return to competition this Saturday at American at 3 p.m., then head to the Ohio Invitational at the College of Wooster April 3.
– Elizabeth Traynor

Number Crunch: 5

The number of times baseball senior Jon Chirumbolo reached base in as many plate appearances Wednesday at George Mason. Chirumbolo went 4-for-4 with a walk and three runs.