Maxim elected SA vice president

Junior Rob Maxim was elected Student Association executive vice president earlier this month, beating classmate Logan Dobson in a runoff election with 51.9 percent of the vote.

The scene in Columbian Square on election night – Thursday night before spring break – was more subdued than the night of the general election announcements last month. Only a dozen members of both Maxim and Dobson’s fraternities, along with some friends, were on hand to support the candidates.

The final vote tally was 794 to 736.

“I’m thrilled, I knew it was going to be close,” Maxim said. “I’m looking forward to implementing what students want, working with the senate and really getting them to focus on the issues.”

Maxim added that he was looking forward to working with next year’s SA President Jason Lifton, saying that the two of them have had a “good working relationship” over the years.

Maxim also pointed out that he was the only EVP candidate in the race that was not an SA senator.

“I really think this is a huge thing on the message of the SA, and where students want the SA to go,” Maxim said.

The EVP candidate pool was whittled down to two after Jon Binetti and Josh Goldstein came in third and fourth place, respectively, during the general election in Februrary. Neither Maxim nor Dobson reached the 40 percent vote threshold required to win the general election, thus triggering the runoff.

Two other runoff elections were also held. Ivy Haskins and Kathryn Pitts tied for the graduate SPHHS senate seat, and Haskins won the Marvin Center Governing Board graduate seat.

Joke candidate Steve Holt was originally one of the three tied for the MCGB seat.