Cheney treated at GW Hospital after heart attack

Former Vice President Dick Cheney was released Wednesday from GW Hospital after suffering a mild heart attack, according to a statement from Cheney’s office.

Vice President for External Relations Lorraine Voles said Monday that Vice President for Health Affairs John Williams sent her a note Monday confirming Cheney’s hospitalization. She said she did not know what time Cheney, 69, arrived at the hospital.

This is Cheney’s fifth heart attack, according to a CNN report.

Peter Long, a Cheney spokesman, sent a news release to reporters Tuesday afternoon, saying the former vice president was recovering. Long did not return a request for comment about what day Cheney was admitted to the hospital.

“Former Vice President Cheney was admitted to GW Hospital after experiencing chest pain. Lab testing revealed evidence of a mild heart attack,” Long said. “He underwent a stress test and a heart catheterization.”

Cheney was released from the hospital Wednesday morning and will resume his normal schedule shortly, his office said.

“Former Vice President Cheney is feeling good this morning and was discharged from GWU Hospital,” according to the statement.

This is not Cheney’s first visit to GW Hospital for heart issues. In 2001, doctors implanted a heart-monitoring device to keep track of his heart rhythm and in 2008 he underwent a surgery to restore a normal rhythm. In a show of appreciation, Cheney gave $3.12 million to the GW Medical Faculty Associates in 2001 to create the Richard B. Cheney Cardiovascular Institute.