Sports in Brief

Baseball swept in three-game series to open season

The GW baseball team was swept over the weekend by scores of 6-5, 4-2 and 6-3 in a three-game series at North Carolina.

After holding leads in the ninth and 10th innings, the Colonials (0-3) dropped Friday’s game in 10 innings, despite the performance of senior shortstop Tom Zebroski, who went 2-for-5 in the game with a stolen base.

Saturday, GW got six shutout innings from junior right-handed starter Joe Richardson, but Richardson’s replacement, Brian Derner, gave up four runs and five hits over the final two innings.

GW’s pitching struggled again Sunday, with senior Ryan LaPointe allowing four runs over the first three innings en route to his first loss of the season as UNC completed the sweep.

Up next for the Colonials is a road date at Virginia this Wednesday at 3 p.m.

Men’s, women’s swimming teams finish last

Both GW swimming teams finished last in their respective Atlantic 10 championships this weekend in Buffalo, N.Y.

The men’s team finished the four-day tournament with 186 points, well behind the 814.5 total of conference champion Massachusetts. The women wrapped up the tournament Sunday with an overall team score of 159.5, also well behind eventual winner Fordham.

No Colonial placed first in any single event, with GW’s best showing coming from freshman Niklas Glenesk, who finished fourth in the 500-yard freestyle on the second day of the event.

Lacrosse can’t stop drexel in season-opener

The GW women’s lacrosse team dropped its season opener 13-6 Sunday against Drexel on the road in Philadelphia.

The Colonials (0-1) tied the game at three with just under nine and a half minutes to go in the first half on a goal from sophomore Sarah Phillips, but the Dragons would go on a 5-0 run from there to bury the Colonials, allowing GW only three more goals for the remainder of the game.

GW especially struggled to contain Drexel’s Katie Lawson, who scored five goals.

The Colonials’ offense was led by Phillips and junior Audrey Joy, who each scored a pair of goals in the loss.

GW will play its first home game of the year Wednesday against American on the Mount Vernon Field at 3:30 p.m.