For President: Xochitl Sanchez

Xochitl Sanchez may be an “outsider” when it comes to the Student Association, but that doesn’t make her an outsider at GW.

“I have a different kind of experience,” said Sanchez (whose first name sounds like so-she-tal). “It’s a new kind of experience and we’re excited to bring that into a new administration.”

Class: Junior
Major: International affairs, with a double concentration in international politics and conflicts and securities
Hometown: Arlington, Texas

Clubs/Activities: Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, 2009 Colonial Cabinet, GW STAND, Dean’s Council, GPS Guide

Top three platform goals: Reduce the red tape involved in student organization allocations, Inform students of their legal rights and reform unfair SJS practices, Establish a stronger sense of campus security

Previous SA experience: None

Reason for running: It’s time we restore credibility to the Student Association and deliver tangible results to the student body.

How did you spend snow week? Mostly inside, preparing for the campaign and having fun. I’m from Texas and we don’t see this kind of snow, ever.

Were you at the GW-GU Snowdown? No.

With her involvement in student organizations and Greek-letter life, Sanchez said she has tapped into what students want from their leaders.

“There’s so much money in the executive branch that can be reallocated [back to student organizations],” Sanchez said. “I know how frustrating it is to have to fundraise every year to put on events.”

While she wants to lessen the financial burdens of student organizations, Sanchez said she also wants to push for other improvements in students’ lives, including Student Judicial Services reform, which has been a hot topic among the SA candidates this year.

“I don’t think a lot of students know what their rights are in terms of SJS,” Sanchez said, calling the current alcohol amnesty program “very confusing.”

“We’re college students, we make mistakes, but there should be a way to learn from our mistakes,” Sanchez said.

Safety is also an issue for Sanchez, who called last week’s alleged fondling incident in Gelman “unacceptable.”

“For students to have the true GW experience they need to feel safe on campus,” Sanchez said.

She called the SA’s online “resource network” of Web sites “a step” toward bridging the gap between the student body and the SA, but said there’s more work to be done.

“We’re excited to go in there and revamp everything… As a freshman the Student Association was the organization to get involved in, and over the past couple of years students are turned off because nothing gets done,” Sanchez said.

She said the feelings students have toward the SA are based on the current leadership and administration.

“Every student at GW is an activist. I want to be an activist for our students,” Sanchez said.