Women’s basketball edged late by Duquesne

Despite the inclement weather this weekend, the GW women’s basketball team traveled to Pittsburgh to take on Duquesne. Unfortunately for the Colonials, they were unable to come back to the snow-covered District with another win on their resumé, falling to the second-place Dukes 66-64.

GW (5-17, 2-7 Atlantic 10) stayed in the game with three-pointers, shooting a season-best 9-for-17. None of those shots were bigger than the ones redshirt freshman Brooke Wilson and freshman Megan Nope hit toward the end of the game.

After Duquesne took a six-point lead with just over two minutes left, Wilson cut the Colonials’ deficit in half with a three. About a minute later, Nipe hit her own three, her fourth of the game, to tie the game with 49 seconds remaining.

On the Dukes’ next possession, Vanessa Abel got to the free-throw line and hit two shots, which proved to be the game-winning points. Nipe missed a jump shot on the other end and sophomore Tiana Myers couldn’t convert a last second put-back, giving GW its third straight loss.

Sophomore center Sara Mostafa led the Colonials with 17 points and finished second on the team with six rebounds. Nipe and Myers were next in scoring with 16 and 15 points, respectively, and each played all but four minutes of the game. Wilson played all 40 minutes and finished with eight points and a game-high 12 rebounds.

After playing the A-10’s top two teams in its last two games, the Colonials will host seventh-place Richmond at the Smith Center Wednesday. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.