Staff Editorial: SEAS and the buyout

The School of Engineering and Applied Science has taken on a new direction and as the old adage goes: out with the old and in with the new. For SEAS, research is definitely in.

Last month, the school offered buyout packages to 39 faculty members. The letters to these professors cited a renewed emphasis on research as the motivation for the offers. While this move represents a good one by the University, it also raises concerns over student representation in the process.

We believe that professors should accept this buyout package. GW offers full-time tenured professors a high salary in comparison with other schools, and the packages are generous for professors who may be close to retirement anyway. The school is emphasizing research, and professors who don’t feel that their work is reflective of this direction should accept the offer. This isn’t necessarily a development indicative of bad research or a lackluster performance. Rather, sometimes organizations change direction and moving staff in and out quicker helps the transition.

While SEAS has offered these professors the chance to retire early, the school is also hiring 14 new professors. These new faculty members will be chosen largely based on their research credentials. The danger of hiring these professors is that their extensive background in research will not necessarily translate into good teaching skills. It’s important to remember that although research is important, professors need to have the training and teaching experience that SEAS students need.

The implementation of this program also raises some serious questions. The school did not effectively inform students of the buyout packages and now has a responsibility to improve its communication with students. When we talked to students about the buyout packages, they had not heard from the school about the offers or the new direction that the staff changes would represent. The University needs to make sure that student input is considered, and that students are informed when these kinds of decisions are made.

The program that the University has offered is a good step toward changing the direction of SEAS. However, communication with students on the nature of the offers and their motives was noticeably lacking. Based on our discussions, students seem excited about seeing some new faces in the classroom. It’s important to remember that students are also the highest stakeholders in this process, and their experience is ultimately the most important element of this equation.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.