Sports in Brief

Stadler named to A-10 First Team

Men’s soccer senior Andy Stadler, who scored 13 goals in 13 matches this season, was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Conference first team, the conference announced Wednesday.

Stadler’s 13 goals led the A-10 in the regular season and pushed him to fourth on GW’s all-time list, with his 1.00 per-game average being the best in NCAA Division I. The Wisconsin native can add the honor to a list that already includes being named to the first team last season, the second team in 2007 and the all-rookie team in 2006. This year he was also one of 38 preseason nominees for the prestigious Hermann Trophy, which is given to the nation’s top player.

Also earning conference honors was freshman teammate Seth Rudolph, who was named to the league’s all-rookie team after tallying four goals and an assist in 17 matches. His four scores tied him with redshirt senior Mike Rollings and sophomore Yoni Berhanu for second on the team.

Hogan takes 11th at regionals

Senior Megan Hogan finished 11th among 190 runners at the Mid-Atlantic Regional 6-kilometer race Saturday in Princess Anne, Md., completing the event with a team-best time of 21:01.

Junior Jessica Stern was next among Colonials in the event, finishing 54th just over two minutes later.

Junior Dan Cartica was the first on GW’s men’s cross country team to complete the 10-kilometer event, finishing with a time of 34:18.5, good for 81st overall among the 197 runners. Junior Zach Borenstein and senior Robbie Lockhart were next among Colonials, coming in 125th and 133rd places, respectively.

Number Crunch: 38

The number of points scored by the GW men’s basketball team’s freshman players in Sunday’s 76-71 win over UNC-Wilmington. David Pellom and Tim Johnson led the group with 11 each.