Goblins and witches and ghosts, oh my!

From shops that sell your favorite costumes to the coolest spots to celebrate this year, here are some of the best places in D.C. to make this Halloween your most memorable one yet.

Costume Stores

Annie Cream Cheese

This vintage clothing and accessories store has become a Halloween supercenter for the season. The shop is selling costumes as well as masks, makeup, accessories and more. A man’s costume starts at $30, and a woman’s costume can be priced anywhere between $40 and $100. Their large mask selection ranges from gruesome horror masks to simple face masks, starting at $15.
3279 M St. NW, (202) 298-5555
Monday through Saturday: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday: Noon to 6 p.m.

Backstage Inc.

While this shop may be more of a hike, Backstage Inc. is worth the trip. Simply hop on the Metro’s Orange line and get off at Eastern Market, and you’ll find yourself within a few blocks of this famous costume shop. Backstage Inc. has costumes and accessories for almost every possible Halloween character. With costumes for both men and women, the price for a costume rental starts at $35 and the price for a costume purchase starts at $39.
545 8th St. SE, (202) 544-5744
Monday through Saturday: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Total Fright

This Halloween store opens its doors in the Georgetown Mall once a year. Total Fright sells costumes, accessories and everything in between. Their costumes for both men and women start at $20, but the average costume tends to be between $40 and $50. Total Fright often keeps their doors open late, sometimes staying open for up to an hour beyond their set closing time.
The Shops at Georgetown Park, 3222 M St. NW, (202) 333-1668
Monday through Saturday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday: Noon to 6 p.m.

Junction

This thrift shop in the U Street Corridor has costumes that are really vintage clothing on a designated Halloween rack, but that does not limit their supply of fun Halloween-wear. Junction has everything from cowboy hats to 1970s-inspired polyester shirts. The prices range from a bin filled with $5 pieces to vintage couture which can cost up to a few hundred dollars.
1510 U St. NW, (202) 483-0261
Wednesday: 3 to 7 p.m., Thursday through Saturday: Noon to 7 p.m., Sunday: Noon to 5 p.m.

Places to Celebrate

Ghost tours of Lafayette Square Park

Led by Washington Walks, a D.C. tour guide company, the ghost tours of Lafayette Square Park are sure to please this Halloween season. On the two-hour walking tour, a guide will take you through Lafayette Square Park, infamously known as one of D.C.’s most haunted spots. This ghostly tour is $10 per person and there is no advanced reservation required. The last tour of the season will be October 31.
Tours depart outside of McPherson Square Metro station
Wednesday through Saturday 7:30 p.m. until Oct. 31

D.C. Drag Queen Race 2009 in Dupont Circle

In this annual D.C. tradition, cross-dressing participants race down 17th Street, confidently sporting elaborate costumes and high heels. Spectators who come to watch will find themselves anxiously waiting to see whose stiletto shoe will cross the finish line first.
17th Street between P and S streets NW
Oct. 27th – 9 p.m.

McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon

For those who are over 21, McFadden’s may be the go-to venue to celebrate this Halloween. McFadden’s is joining forces with College magazine as well as the local radio station 94.7 Fresh FM to throw a huge Halloween party for college students. Entrance is $20 at the door and $15 if you pre-paid. Specials include an open bar from 9 until 11 p.m., and $2 domestic draught beers from 11 p.m. until closing.
2401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Oct. 29: 9 p.m.

Fur Nightclub

Bring back memories of freshman year with Fur Nightclub and their annual “Dare to be Naughty” Halloween extravaganza Oct. 30. As club-goers ring in the 31st with loud music and dancing, Fur will crown the partier with the best costume, awarding them $1,000 in prize money. This nightclub is 18-plus to enter and 21-plus to drink. If you put your name on their Web site’s guest list, admission into the club is free before 11 p.m. Otherwise, admission is $20.
33 Patterson St. NE, (202) 842-3401, www.furnightclub.com

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Join student theatre group Forbidden Planet Productions this weekend for their 15th annual Rocky Horror Picture Show. Men and women in tights, corsets and heels will be “giving themselves over to absolute pleasure” as they sing, dance, and give lap dances in this production full of opportunities for audience participation. Costumes are strongly encouraged.
Marvin Center Continental Ballroom
Thursday and Saturday: 9 p.m., Friday: midnight