Staff Editorial: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up: Sol Café returns

One week ago, the coffee stand known as Sol Café on H Street near Gelman Library suddenly disappeared from the Kogan Plaza landscape. While we definitely felt a lack of caffeine, even worse was the lack of a business that gives students real world experience. Thankfully, Sol Café’s manager, Simone Freeman, was able to convince D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans to intervene on behalf of the business, and we will now have an alternative to Starbucks back in Kogan Plaza.

Thumbs Down: Why, WECA, Why?

The West End Citizens Association, or WECA, is protesting Foggy Bottom Grocery’s plans to stay open late and serve prepared foods such as deli sandwiches and pizza. They also want to prevent FoBoGro’s owner, GW alumnus Kris Hart, from selling alcohol in the store. This battle between the neighborhood organization and FoBoGro needs to end soon. WECA should drop the campaign against Hart and allow him to conduct business as he originally planned. GW students could certainly use another late-night eatery.

Thumbs Up: GW is Twitteriffic

With 17 accounts and an average of 58 tweets per day, a recent study found GW is one of the top-tweeting universities. The University is keeping up with the technological micro-blogging trend sweeping the nation, and is actually being recognized for it. Twitter has proven valuable in relaying information to large amounts of people almost instantly, and the fact that GW is so avidly utilizing this tool is truly “Twitterific.”

Thumbs Sideways: SA: To tweet or not to tweet

During last year’s SA elections, President Julie Bindelglass promised to use communication media such as Twitter and other Web sites to keep students updated on SA activities. This has yet to happen on a substantial level. On the one hand, maintaining communication among members of the SA and GW students via Twitter is a campaign promise Bindelglass needs to uphold. On the other, considering its history of scandal and self-importance, maybe it’s a good thing we haven’t heard too much from our student government.

Thumbs Down: Greek Week during midterms – Really?

Greek Week is a well-known annual tradition held by GW’s Greek-letter organizations, but this year it falls during midterm season. While any unifying or bonding event held on GW’s campus is typically a good thing, the timing of the event is not. Members of Greek-letter organizations are forced to choose between participating in fun activities and studying for midterms. Which would you choose?

Thumbs Down: Erica Steinberg leaving

Sadly, The Hatchet’s production queen is one step closer to spending next semester studying abroad in England. While we don’t completely understand why she would choose rolling hills, historic schools and boys with accents over late nights at The Hatchet, we do know we are dreading the day she leaves.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.