Get Your Game On

Some of the best action in Washington, D.C. can be found far from the Senate or House floor and at the numerous sporting events that the District has to offer. D.C. has all you need when it comes to getting your game on.

Washington Capitals

A member of the National Hockey League’s Eastern Conference, the Washington Capitals – or Caps, for short – play in the Verizon Center, located between Seventh and Ninth streets in Chinatown. Last year, the team went to the Eastern Conference championship round, but fell short of winning. The team is home to rising superstar Alexander Ovechkin, who scored the most goals in the NHL for the 2007-2008 season and was the first player to win a Most Valuable Player award in the Washington area since 1983. Hockey season occurs from October to June.

Washington Nationals

The aptly named Nationals represent the District in Major League Baseball. Nicknamed the “Nats,” the team now plays in Nationals Park. Constructed last year, the park is the first ever LEED-certified MLB park, which means it meets a set of standards for environmentally friendly construction. The 4-year-old Nationals have the unique distinction of being in the company of the Texas Rangers and the Seattle Mariners to have never played in a World Series, including the time the team was known as the Montreal Expos. Baseball season occurs from April to October.

Washington Wizards

Previously known as the Bullets, the Washington Wizards is D.C.’s professional basketball team. In the 2004-2005 season the team achieved its best record in 26 years. Since then, the team made the National Basketball Association’s playoffs three years in-a-row, despite losing each time to its main rival, the Cleveland Cavaliers. As with the Capitals, The Wizards occupy the Verizon Center during home games. Basketball season occurs from October to June.

Washington Redskins

According to Forbes magazine, the Redskins are the second-most valuable franchise in the National Football League, and the highest grossing team in the league in terms of revenue. Throughout its history, the team has played in five Super Bowls and won three, Home games are played at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., and players train at Redskin Park in Ashburn, Va. near Dulles International Airport. Football season occurs from September to February.

D.C. United

Like the Redskins. the D.C. United draw a large and loyal fan base, and for good reason. Twice it has won the U.S. Open Cup, and has received four Major League Soccer Cups, the highest championship award in American soccer. The team also plays in numerous international competitions. In recent years, there has been talk of D.C. United moving to a new stadium, but plans to construct a new facility along the Anacostia River in Washington or near FedEx Field in Maryland have not moved forward due to local opposition. Soccer season occurs from March to November.