Farmers’ markets offer fresh, local food options

Tired of getting all your groceries from Safeway or Trader Joe’s? Farmers’ markets around the city are great places to find local farmers and artisans selling vegetables, meats, eggs, cheese, pasta, baked goods and flowers.

The Foggy Bottom Farmers’ Market is organized by Fresh Farm Markets, which has markets in other D.C. neighborhoods like Dupont Circle (Sundays) and Penn Quarter (Thursdays). Alexandra Alderman, who runs the Foggy Bottom market, emphasized the market’s dependence on the GW students and other members of the community.

“The farmers have missed the students these past months and are excited to have them back,” Alderman said.

Many of the farmers and artisans have changed their products to better serve the students, making farm-fresh food more accessible by creating ready-to-eat meals that only require a microwave.

Alderman noted a learning component to the market as well. The Foggy Bottom Market hosts professional chef demonstrations on the first Wednesday of every month, showcasing simple recipes with students in mind.

The Foggy Bottom Farmers’ Market is located behind the GW Hospital on I Street between New Hampshire Avenue and 24th Street, and is held on Wednesdays from 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.