University Police Department earns reaccreditation

The University Police Department was reaccredited earlier this month by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, University Police Chief Dolores Stafford said this week.

“The process went well and they were impressed with all the things that UPD does to get involved with the community,” Stafford said.

This process, which the campus police force must undergo every three years to maintain accreditation, ensures that agencies always up to date with current CALEA policy.

Last November, CALEA officials were on campus to assess UPD by going through files, procedures, policies and interviewing staff to ensure practices are sound.

A public comment session was also held in November for members of the GW community to offer their opinions or criticisms of UPD. The Hatchet previously reported that only two community members made public comments at the event.

CALEA also asked UPD to focus on conducting background checks on all personnel in the office. Previously, only sworn officers were required to undergo background checks.

One percent of campus police forces are accredited by CALEA. Stafford said the reaccreditation process “opens up the whole agency to outside scrutiny, feedback and guidance.”

CALEA first accredited UPD in 2006.