Fixed tuition attracts new students

The promise of GW’s fixed tuition plan is making writing that first deposit check to the University a little easier for some incoming freshmen.

Despite the fact that fixed tuition colleges often have higher sticker prices to account for inflation, many incoming students interviewed said the stability of a flat price was appealing. Unlike many universities, where tuition rises each year for all students, GW’s fixed tuition policy ensures students pay the same amount for tuition each year they attend GW.

In the fall, The Hatchet reported that administration officials were looking to promote the University’s fixed tuition program as a way to ease fears about GW’s cost in the midst of the economic downturn. Incoming freshmen will pay $41,610 in tuition next year, not including room and board.

Several incoming students said in recent interviews that the University’s fixed tuition program was attractive – particularly in the current economic climate – and that it made the University seem less expensive in the long run.

“I did not apply for aid, but knowing tuition is fixed is very helpful. Who knows? Maybe in 3 years GW will not be one of the most expensive schools and other schools I might have attended could be the same price or even more,” said Julia Coffou, an incoming freshman from Chicago. “It is nice not to have to worry that each year my tuition will be a few thousand more.”

Another student commented how fixed tuition made college costs more predictable, allowing her to know that she would be able to afford GW while juggling a mix of loans, scholarships and private funds.

“It was really important in making sure that I would be able to afford it,” said Emily Rasowsky, an incoming freshman from Las Vegas. “I was given a fixed amount . and that was that, so it was important for me to make sure that I would be able to cover the cost without any surprises in tuition costs.”

Other students said even if fixed tuition were not a large factor in their college search or they did not fully understand the program until they had already begun applying, they felt it would be helpful.

“From an admissions perspective, we have not seen any change in the usual positive response we receive from prospective families regarding the fixed tuition plan,” said Executive Dean of Admissions Kathryn Napper. “We also continue to get very positive feedback about the University’s pairing of fixed tuition with guaranteed financial aid for five years.”

Despite the economic downturn and GW’s large price tag, several students said their parents saw education as an investment and were often willing to write large checks to a school that appealed to their child.

“The cost of GW is no doubt striking, but I knew that I wanted to go there no matter what,” said incoming freshman Jill Passione. “When I visited the school last March my parents saw how much I loved it and promised that they would let me apply there even though the cost was rather steep.”