LGBTQ group holds mock marriage event in University Yard

Web Extra

Dozens of students were “married” Friday in mock ceremonies performed in University Yard to show their support for marriage equality.

Marriage Equality Day was hosted by Allied in Pride, an LGBTQ group on campus, to raise awareness about equal marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples.

But the event sought to prove that all types of marriage were accepted.

“We married both same-sex and opposite-sex couples in University Yard all day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.,” said Michael Komo, president of Allied in Pride. “We believe that any two people who are in a loving and committed relationship ought to have the right to get married and receive the rights.”

Couples who wished to be wed were able to pick out hats to “dress up” for the occasion. They were then ushered under a tent where they had wedding pictures taken. Couples were presented with a fake marriage certificate as a souvenir.

Alex Khalife, a senior who participated in the event, said she decided to get married to show her support for the cause.

“I don’t really think it’s fair that men and women can get married and same sex couples can’t,” Khalife said.

Brendan Balvorac, vice president of Allied in Pride, said this was the third year the group held this event. He said it was created in response to a College Republicans event called “marriage is man and women.”

Students protested the CR’s event, which gave Allied in Pride the idea to hold their own event and voice their side of the argument.