GW breaks 11-game losing streak

The streak has been snapped.

GW’s men’s basketball team no longer finds itself mired in an 11-game skid after picking up an 87-62 win over Fordham Saturday afternoon at Smith Center.

The victory, the Colonials’ (7-13, 1-7 Atlantic 10) first since Dec. 23, 2008, took shape early. Powered by eventual 19-point, six-rebound and 17-point, seven-rebound performances from junior Damian Hollis and senior Rob Diggs, respectively, GW was able to open a double-digit advantage within the game’s first eight minutes. As play continued, the lead continued to balloon, culminating in a 33-point lead for the Colonials at halftime.

Still, head coach Karl Hobbs was not comfortable.

“I see all the things that a guy isn’t doing and I mostly focus on just constantly trying to correct those things,” he said of his coaching during a blowout win such as this. “It’s very difficult for me to find comfort. I find comfort tomorrow morning when I wake and I realize we won the game”

Though their coach may not have been relaxed, the Colonials were able to coast through much of the second half, appearing to ease their foot off the gas for stretches of time as they maintained their lead. Many of GW’s reserves enjoyed spells of playing time, perhaps none using their court time more efficiently than sophomore Joseph Katuka. The 6-foot-10 southpaw contributed eight points and nine rebounds in 17 minutes off the bench.

“That’s something that we need,” Hobbs said of Katuka’s play. “He’s given us a nice physical presence and he’s really starting to come on. He’s really starting to become a factor in basketball games.”

In all, 14 Colonials saw the floor against the Rams, 10 of whom scored at least a basket. Senior Wynton Witherspoon had 13 points and freshman Tony Taylor added 10 to round out GW’s top scorers.

With one streak now finally behind them, GW will look to start a new one and pick up their second straight victory as they host La Salle Wednesday night at Smith Center. The game is set to begin at 7:30 p.m.