Few attend public hearing for UPD reaccreditation

Two people, both administrators, spoke at a public commenting session Monday evening about the University Police Department, as part of the force’s reaccreditation process.

UPD will find out in early 2009 if it has been reaccredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, an independent accrediting body.

Representatives from the CALEA monitored UPD from Nov. 15 to Nov. 19 to assess whether the department meets CALEA’s standards, as it did when the force was first accredited in March 2006. In addition to the public hearing, CALEA has been on campus looking at files and paperwork and going on ride-alongs with officers.

“This is a voluntary process. (UPD) open themselves up to us,” said Mark L. Brooks, leader of the CALEA team reviewing UPD. “A very small percentage of law enforcement agencies are nationally accredited.”

The public comment session was held in the Marvin Center for GW community members and the general public to offer comments on UPD. It lasted about 15 minutes, since only two people spoke after Brooks introduced CALEA’s team, consisting of himself and two other officers.

Alumnus Robert Luke, an executive associate in University President Steven Knapp’s office, said he had only positive things to say about UPD, adding that his colleagues felt the same way.

John Ralls, special adviser for communications and outreach in the office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz, said it has been a smooth process working with UPD.

“They go beyond the call of duty,” Ralls said.

Three students who did not participate were also in attendance. Stafford previously told The Hatchet that about 20 people attended the last UPD accreditation hearing.