Where to Work: Campus jobs abound for GW class of 2012

Capitol Hill internships generally don’t pay the bills. And for those students who want to make some cash on the side, the right job might be just around the corner.

In addition to the on-campus jobs publicized at Colonial Inauguration and throughout the year, some of the most popular student jobs are at the Health and Wellness Center, the Marvin Center, Colonial Connection and Student Housing Services.

At Colonial Connection, located on M Street, students are paid a base salary of $10.50 to call University alumni for donations. They offer flexible scheduling for full-time students, as well as opportunities to earn extra during exam weeks.

“This is the first place I applied when I was a freshman and I haven’t worked anywhere else since,” said Liz Edwards, a junior who works at Colonial Connection. “It’s a really good social atmosphere (and) it’s a good way to meet other people.”

Edwards said students need to have a proficiency in phone etiquette, although the office can teach them if they lack the proper skills.

“Our philosophy is that anyone can learn how to talk on the phone,” she said.

The Lerner Health and Wellness Center, a multi-million dollar GW recreational facility on 23rd and G streets, is another convenient choice for students seeking jobs on campus.

“The staff is really what makes me enjoy this place the most,” said senior Christina Gerhard, an employee. “And our bosses too, they’re really great.”

Students working at the Health and Wellness Center rotate between different desks in the complex, overseeing administrative tasks and monitoring the facilities. Promotions are likely after at least a year of employment, Gerhard said.

Unlike many other jobs, Health and Wellness Center employees are allowed to do homework while on the clock – as long as it doesn’t interfere with their work.

“If you don’t do your job because your homework’s gotten in the way then that privilege is revoked,” Gerhard said. “But overall, all of our bosses understand that we’re students and that is our primary reason for being at GW.”

Gelman Library, the Marvin Center and Student Housing Services also hire large quantities of students in the beginning of the year, and try to accommodate their busy class schedules.

Recent graduate Paul Robinson, who worked at the Student Housing Services offices, said he gained a lot from his on-campus job.

“My (grade point average) went up the more I worked,” Robinson said. “I definitely think you learn to manage time and use your time more efficiently.”