GW Dictionary: Your guide on how to translate GW into English

Like almost every other college in the country, GW has a long list of slang terms and nicknames students use to refer to various campus landmarks, eateries and people. The following guide should serve you well when you are making your way from the Vern to HellWell before grabbing some Pizza I in preparation for an all-nighter at Club G.

4-RIDE – A free shuttle service operated by UPD that drives around campus. It is useful for getting around GW when it is raining, snowing, or when you just have trouble walking to the next party. Call them at 202-994-7433.

Big George and Little George – The mascots for GW. When you go to a basketball game or a major University event, don’t be surprised to see little George Washington and his larger, inflated twin navigating the crowds.

CD’s and CR’s- The College Democrats and College Republicans, two of the largest student groups on campus. If you’re a passionate liberal or conservative, you’ll want to join a side before November’s election.

Club G – Gelman Library, GW’s 24/7 home for last minute cramming. Expect to spend many of long nights there with your laptop, textbooks and a 12-pack of Red Bull.

EMeRG – The student-run emergency medical service on call 24 hours a day. Drink too much and you will find these students escorting you to the hospital.

Froggy – Froggy Bottom Pub, a GW mainstay located on Pennsylvania Ave.known for its reasonably priced food and charismatic owner Hien Bui.

HellWell – The Lerner Health & Wellness Center, located across the street from Ivory Tower at 23rd and G streets. Bring your GWorld card to get in and plan for a wait if you want to use the always-popular elliptical machines.

Hippodrome – The fifth floor of the Marvin Center. Stop by for a bite at WOW Café and Wingery and then play air hockey or go bowling at one of the two public alleys in all of D.C.

Metro – The subway system in the District. Use the Red, Blue, Orange, Green and Yellow lines to explore all that the District has to offer, but remember eating or drinking is forbidden.

Pizza I – Pizza Italia, a restaurant across the street from Thurston. It is a popular spot for late-night eats.

SJT – Steven Joel Trachtenberg, University President from 1988 to 2007 and currently a professor in the School of Public Policy. He is behind GW’s metal hippo in front of Lisner Auditorium, which he “stumbled across” during a trip to Rhode Island.

SA – GW’s student government, which represents students and allocates money to student organizations. Check out some of America’s future leaders Tuesday nights in the Marvin Center as they debate for hours over non-binding resolutions.

Thrustin’ – The nickname of Thurston Hall, GW’s biggest freshmen residence hall on the corner of F and 19th streets. Although it was at one time reputed to be the second most sexually active dorm in the country, it was later discovered that no such ranking exists.

Tonic – GW’s newest bar and grill at G and 21st streets, owned by alumni, which offers about a dozen beers on tap and signature GW food like Knapp Wraps and Trachtenburgers.

The Vern – Mount Vernon, GW’s second campus in D.C., accessible by a 15-minute ride on the Vern Express shuttle. It is home to athletic fields, smaller classrooms and delicious Sunday brunch in the dining hall.