Freshmen Athletes: Carr played for national soccer team, honed skills at top sports academy

Fifty-eight tennis courts, four soccer fields and a state-of-the-art golf training facility. Sound like your high school?

Probably not. But it was reality for Brice Carr, a former member of the Under-17 United States National Team residency program last year at the famous IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Carr is one of GW’s newest recruits for soccer, after arriving in Foggy Bottom last winter.

During his time at the specialized school, he took classes in the morning and honed his skills in the afternoon – and played against top-level talent on the weekends.

“I went all over the world,” he said. “We played other countries, and it was just a great experience. We played against professional teams, and college teams would come down and we would scrimmage them.”

A defender, Carr grew up in Wisconsin and attended Marquette University High School until he enrolled at IMG halfway through his junior year. Carr graduated the Florida academy at the end of 2007 and enrolled at GW when he was 17 years old.

“It was an experience being 17 and in college – kinda fun,” he said.

But the Mequon, Wis., native joins a Colonials’ squad comprised mainly of upperclassmen. GW will have 11 juniors next season and Carr, who plays a position that often requires him to be a leader on the field, will have to step up and tell the top players where to be.

“I’ve always been a firm believer in never being cocky. I have a lot of respect for all those guys because they’re older and have been there longer,” Carr said, adding that he’s used to playing with older teammates. “I’m a leader, but you definitely have to watch what you say so people don’t get the wrong idea of you.”

Carr figures to be a big part of a recruiting class head coach George Lidster has said may be “one of the best this program has seen in many years.” Carr is one of six recruits who will join the gaggle of juniors on the Colonials, who went 9-8-2 last year. Other freshmen joining the team are a former Canadian U-17 National Team member, three former Massachusetts All-State selections and the reigning Gatorade’s Washington, D.C. Player of the year.