Free Stuff: Getting the most from your tuition dollars

It’s the $52,957 question – what exactly does GW’s tuition get its students?

On paper, GW students will get up to 18 academic credits, room and board, and most of their books. But if they know where to look, there are plenty of ways to get more out of their tuition dollars.

During Colonial Inauguration, freshmen get a taste of these opportunities. CI is full of chances to nab free food and GW paraphernalia as the University tries to get the incoming class excited about their next four years at GW.

Freshmen who answer questions correctly during the kickoff session of CI or participate in games during the “Capture the Spirit Dinner” receive free T-shirts, pizza, gift cards, umbrellas and blankets. Students who complete their evaluation at the end of the third day will receive a GW towel.

Free food and entertainment are available all three days of CI at socials sponsored by Program Board and Greek Life such as the “Buff and Blue Barbeque” and an ice cream social. Continuing in the fall, Student and Academic Support Services sponsors programming such as concerts, Welcome Week and Midnight Breakfast, which are targeted towards underclassmen.

Another way GW students can stretch their GW tuition money is by creating a Living and Learning Cohort with GW Housing. By creating an LLC, students can receive money to enjoy and learn about everything from politics to indie music.

Sophomore Michael Komo, a Thurston Politics and Public Policy house resident, created an LLC for political satire. The group met every week to watch “The Colbert Report” and “The Daily Show.” In return, GW picked up the tab for their trip to a Capitol Steps show, custom LLC T-shirts, food at every meeting and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s books.

“Second semester when a lot of LLCs died out, the University increased our budget because not many LLC’s worked out, so it was great,” Komo said. “Not to mention the fact that I met most of my closest friends through the LLC and we are all living together in Guthridge (Hall) next year.”

The LLC selection process is intensive and only a limited number of LLCs are approved, said Andrew Goretsky, GW Housing director of house life.

“A proposal will be evaluated based on the quality of the learning outcomes or what the members hope to experience through participating in the LLC, how realistic the goals and budget are and the overall quality of the proposal,” Goretsky said.

House proctors, student staff members that live in each first year residence hall, can be another source of free items for students.

The purpose of house proctors is to “create an atmosphere of personal responsibility and academic growth. and work with residents to explore the house theme through conversations and experiences,” Goretsky said. Fortunately for students, many of these conversations and experiences involve bringing students together over free food or activities.

If students are willing to make the 15-minute shuttle ride, the Mount Vernon campus has even more opportunities for freebies.

Mount Vernon sponsors events during Welcome Week, as well as weekly “Wacky Wednesday” events with free food and entertainment, and complimentary use of the movie library, tennis courts and sports fields.