Greek Brief: Three sororities to give presentations in hopes of coming to campus

The Panhellenic Association announced the names of the three sororities to which it will consider extending an invitation to found a chapter on campus next fall.

Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Theta and Delta Delta Delta have accepted invitations to make proposal presentations on campus in late February. The Panhellenic Association made the decision to bring a new sorority onto campus last December, after an increase of more than 100 girls joining sororities during this year’s fall recruitment period.

“We want to expand Greek life at GW, and adding another sorority will definitely add to that,” said Amanda Gancayco, VP of marketing and public relations for the Panhellenic Association.

“We are very excited to invite these organizations to campus,” said Claire Low, Panhellenic Association president. “Their strength will continue to benefit our growing Greek community.”

Chi Omega will present on Feb. 19, Kappa Alpha Theta on Feb. 25 and Delta Delta Delta on Feb. 26.

Each organization will have an opportunity to speak to the student body and will also offer a special information session for potential members. After the presentations, an invitation will be extended in mid-March to one group to join GW’s Greek-letter community next fall.

The Panhellenic extension committee – a group of women chosen from each of the nine Panhellenic sororities – was responsible for choosing the finalists from 12 National Panhellenic Conference applicants.

Two of the sororities in contention, Chi Omega and Kappa Alpha Tau, applied to be accepted onto campus last year as well, but Pi Beta Phi was chosen instead, Gancayco said.

The extension committee selected these sororities based on their viability for integration into GW’s Greek-letter community.

“We’re just looking for the sorority to have a group of well-rounded girls, to make Greek life a bigger part of the GW community,” said Gancayco. “It’s exciting for those sororities because the new members get to be founders.”