University to alter room capacity

The University will alter room capacity in Fulbright, City Hall and Francis Scott Key in response to student feedback about on-campus housing options.

Rooms in Fulbright and City Hall will have smaller capacities in fall 2008, and Francis Scott Key will hold juniors, said Seth Weinshel, GW Housing Program’s director of assignments.

“We listen to what students say about their rooms and meet regularly with the RHA,” he said. “RHA is usually the catalyst for many of the changes to the iHousing assignment process.”

All of the quads in Fulbright will be converted to triples before the fall, and 48 triples in City Hall will be converted to doubles.

“The changes to lower the budgeted beds of some residence halls was to create more attractive options for our returning students,” Weinshel said.

The University will still guarantee housing for freshmen and sophomores.

Devon Carter, a junior living on Townhouse Row, said she considers GW’s housing options “exceptional,” especially in comparison with friends at other schools.

“My one issue would be that some of the rooms in dormitories for underclassmen seem a little crowded, which probably has something to do with the increasing numbers of students that are admitted to campus,” Carter said.

Kristen Kampetis, a sophomore transfer student from the University of Miami at Ohio said she is impressed with the size of the rooms GW offers.

“I feel really fortunate to have these apartment-style options offered to me as early on as sophomore year,” she said. “I think one of the most difficult things in figuring out housing for underclassmen is probably finding a room or suite that fits the exact amount of people you are looking to live with, and then getting everyone in.”

This academic year, 80 percent of students were assigned to one of their top three housing choices.

Kampetis added, “Rooms here at GW are bigger and better by far than at my old university; however I did find it was a little harder to work directly with housing one-on-one, the process was very time consuming.”

Weinshel is encouraging students to take advantage of the educational resources made available by housing.

“We have open houses, and I would encourage students to take advantage of the GWHP staff and Web site to get information. And students should feel free to stop in, e-mail, or call if they have any questions or concerns.”