Making fashion function

(click play button to play narration by Hatchet reporter Carly Sharon)

Calling all over-packers! Leave your clinched belts, laced up boots and stifling corsetry at home this spring break. Fashionistas will be dressing for practicality and functionality on the beaches this season, so stick to the indispensables for a successful getaway, no matter where you go.

To keep your suitcase light, leave the oversized hobos at home and bring the mini-clutch – preferably in white – for optimal use and mobility. This tiny accessory will spice up any drab outfit and will go with everything.

You can even shed an extra few ounces from your luggage by leaving your clunky jewelry at home. Instead pack swimwear or eveningwear with jeweled embellishments to sparkle your style.

When considering your escape’s essentials remember – you are there to have fun. Replace strapless and stiletto heels with a more comfortable shoe like a wedge or platform. Mobility is crucial on spring break.

Bold colors and prints are certainly a priority this season, within of course, reason so think about outfits that are figure friendly. Animal and Bohemian prints can work on some, but not all.

Whether you’ll be vacationing in hot weather or cold, it’s important to dress within your own personal boundaries. Keep it flattering and tasteful.

One classic, yet oh-so-chic outfit that is a must have for spring break is the shorts and simple tank combo. Bring along your high waist skirts to spruce up the outfit when needed.

As for accessories, the beach is going to require more than just a bottle of oil. To gain some shade poolside, wide-brimmed hats and oversized sunglasses provide both style and function. Consider plastic frames for durability.

Bathing suits this season are more fashion forward than ever. For a practical choice, look to the one-piece cutouts that remind us that less is more – or at least, to a certain extent. These suits leave just enough to the imagination, but exude enough sex appeal so that you can leave the bare-all spring break bikini at home. For those less aquatically inclined, crocheted and even belted suits are here this season.

Spring break is not an excuse to let your fashion senses loose, so keep it simple, keep it practical, and above all keep to your own style and enjoy.