Hobbs assessed technical foul

PITTSBURGH — For the second time in as many games, GW men’s basketball coach Karl Hobbs received a technical foul in the second half of a road loss. This time, it was because he made a comment to an official during a 92-67 loss to Duquesne.

Hobbs is known for his animated sideline behavior, including often making comments to the referees, and this time around was no different. If anything, Hobbs was a little bit more intense against the Dukes, his well-known foot stamping a little bit louder and drawing the attention, and jeers, of the student section, which was located within ear shot of the GW bench.

“You’re embarrassing,” one particularly rowdy Duquesne fan yelled during one of Hobbs’ sideline spouts.

Hobbs also used the adjective during the contest, saying to an official, “That call was an embarrassment,” after a whistle blew.

Last year, in an 84-69 loss at Dayton, Hobbs was assessed two technical fouls in a row for his wild behavior. He was ejected from the game and as he walked off, he continued to yell obscenities at the officials.

This season, the NCAA has given referees more leniency in keeping coaches in line on the sidelines. A new policy designed to allow refs to use their discretion in flagging coaches with technical fouls has been employed in an attempt to control their sometimes out-of-control behavior.

At one point in the game against Duquesne, the Dukes’ fans made light of Hobbs’ fiery behavior, screaming, “walk away, just walk away. Take a breather.”