Blind Date: A Comfortable Conversation

A ballroom-dancing guy and a rock-climbing girl found some common ground over a meal of surf-and-turf in Georgetown’s Miss Saigon. The two freshmen discovered they have more in common than meets the eye.

Date Bios

Name: Samuel Bain
Year: Freshman
Age: 19
Hometown: Dayton, Ohio

Name: Shannon Osselaer
Year: Freshman
Age: 19
Hometown: Phoenix, Arizona

What is your ideal first date?

Samuel: I’d say a nice dinner and a movie. Maybe a walk on the beach afterwards.

Shannon: If he were more outgoing and adventurous, I wouldn’t mind rock climbing or something fun like that. But if he’s the quieter type, I might prefer going to a bookstore, talking in the aisles.

What do you look for in the opposite sex?

Samuel: Values, if they have a plan in life and a good head on their shoulders.

Shannon: Dorky guys . I’m definitely kind of a nerd myself. I read a lot of comic books.

What are your own interests?

Samuel: At GW I’m in the College Republicans and I actually took ballroom dancing last semester.

Shannon: I’m really into the outdoors. I love backpacking, rock climbing. I also like to draw and read.

Samuel Bain

Bain: I’ve actually never been on a blind date before and this went really well. We hung out for almost three hours, the restaurant was really great and the food was good too. I had the caramelized salmon.

I got to go up to her room and met her roommates afterwards, which was cool.

I would give the date an A. I’m definitely going to call her . I look forward to a second date.

Shannon Osselaer

Osselaer: This was my first blind date and I’d say it went really well. We went to Miss Saigon, a really nice restaurant. I had a steak dish.

He got there before me and since the reservation was under two different names it was kind of confusing. But when I finally joined him it wasn’t awkward at all (and) we were able to talk.

We had never met, but I think both of us were outgoing enough that we didn’t need to feel uncomfortable talking to one another.

It was definitely a lot of fun. I would give it an A. He’s a great guy and we had a lot of fun, but I’m not really sure (about going on a date in the future).

“GW Blind Date” is a regular feature in the Life section modeled after Washington Post Magazine’s Date Lab. If you would like to be set up on a blind date with another GW student, e-mail <a href="[email protected][email protected].