Thousands flock to Fall Fest

Grammy-award winning pop-alternative band OK Go performed to an enthusiastic crowd at Saturday’s Fall Fest, the final event of Welcome Week 2007’s festivities.

“There’s nothing like the first fucking week of school,” said Damian Kulash, the lead singer for OK Go.

The state fair-themed Fall Fest included free Juice Zone smoothies, free Papa John’s pizza, a dunk tank, carnival games, a moon bounce and a mechanical bull. Singer-songwriter Derek James and student bands Bottles/Cans and Hello Society also peformed.

“Program Board has spent a countless number of hours of planning for this year’s Fall Fest over the summer, and the efforts really paid off,” wrote Program Board Chair Jay Kaplan in an e-mail.

He continued, “We obtained a record number of sponsors, put up a real stage for the first time in Fall Fest history (instead of using the Law School terrace) and secured an artist that I think the students thoroughly enjoyed.”

Junior Kaitlin Muench said, “OK Go appeals to a different sector of people than Common (last year’s headliner.) This year’s Fall Fest is definitely better than last year’s Fall Fest, except they don’t have spin art this year.”

Other students said they attended Fall Fest not because of the performers but because they wanted to enjoy the warm weather, meet new people and stock up on free food and t-shirts.

“I’ve only heard of OK Go, but the performer could have been anyone, and I would have still come,” freshman Mark Mahoney said. “All of the Welcome Week events have been really good for meeting people.”

“OK Go is cheesy, lame indie rock, but I’m still here,” sophomore Davis Woodruff said.