WEB UPDATE: GW bounces back with win over UMBC

Posted Tuesday, Dec. 12, 10:48 p.m.

In between two of the biggest games of its season, the GW men’s basketball team did not overlook the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, beating the Terriers 72-51 at Smith Center.

The Colonials (7-2) suffered a deflating loss to the University of Southern California last Saturday, but looked rejuvenated against the Terriers.

GW never trailed against the Retrievers, using its length and quickness to force 22 turnovers. Like their opponents, UMBC is a relatively small team, which allowed GW’s shortest regular, junior guard Maureece Rice to record his first career double-double (22 points, 10 rebounds).

“I’m kind of excited about that,” Rice said about his double-double. “(Head coach Karl Hobbs) told me I had seven (rebounds), so I wanted to go out and get three more.” Sophomore guard Cheyenne Moore, a Baltimore native, showed what he is capable of, scoring 10 points in 10 minutes.

“He came in the game and brought a tremendous amount of energy,” Hobbs said of Moore, who is recovering from a stress fracture in his left tibia. “Unfortunately, we have to be careful about the number of minutes he plays, but I thought he was fantastic.”

Hobbs said he hopes Moore will be able to play 15 minutes against No. 24/20 Air Force (AP/ESPN-USA Today) Dec. 28. The long layoff, Hobbs said, will allow players to focus on finals and go home before heading back to California to play the Falcons, who Hobbs called “one of the top 10 teams in America.”

While Moore had a breakout game of sorts, senior forward Regis Koundjia left the game in the first half after being hit in the jaw. Hobbs said Koundjia would have his face X-rayed after the game, but did not know the severity of the injury. The Washington Post reported the x-rays were negative.

Senior guard Carl Elliott continued his offensive struggles, scoring seven points and playing just 27 minutes due to foul trouble. Elliott did have a season-high seven steals.

“The beauty about Carl Elliott is that even when he doesn’t score, he has an impact on the game,” Hobbs said. “That’s the impact of a good player.”

var uslide_show_id = “40051bf8-eee9-43ac-9c63-1f31c4584a9d”;var slideshowwidth = “468”;var linktext = “”;