Chipotle may come to Quigley’s

Chipotle is one of several venues the University is considering to install in the vacant Quigley’s building at 21st and G streets. Workers will start renovations on Quigley’s in January to transform it into a new food venue and GWorld partner.

Tracy Schario, director of Media Relations, said the University received proposals from 10 food companies to create a venue at Quigley’s, but she declined to mention names of potential restaurants. Chris Arnold, a spokesman for Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., however, confirmed that the popular burrito restaurant is one of the companies that has been in touch with GW.

“The University would like to have us,” said Arnold, whose official title is director of hoopla, hype & ballyhoo for Chipotle. “But there is nothing concrete.”

Arnold added that he expected negotiations to continue for a couple more months before a deal could be established, but said Chipotle would be very interested in opening a venue on campus.

“It’s a good location,” he said. “We’d love to see it work out.”

Chipotle is familiar with student dining, since its first venue was located near the University of Denver in 1993. The nearest Chipotle to GW’s Foggy Bottom campus is at 1837 M St.

The University is hoping to complete a deal with one of the potential 10 venues by the end of the year and begin construction in January 2006. The new eatery will be open and operational about a year after construction starts, Schario said.

“Once we announce the vendor, we’ll have a better idea of what is going on,” she said, regarding the construction and potential opening dates for the venue.

Schario said that while the University had originally not wanted a chain fast food venue or restaurant to replace the former pharmacy, its search has included a range of dining options.

“Our original concept was a bistro,” she said.

The development process for Quigley’s began in spring 2005 when GW completed the zoning process. The D.C. Zoning Commission voted to allow the University to expand and renovate the building to provide food services, said Charles Barber, GW’s senior counsel.

Part of the expansion of the building will incorporate the basketball court located behind Quigley’s. The building is currently being used by Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps, which will move out in December.

Schario added that the new venue will be included on the GWorld card system regardless of which food company receives the deal. Arnold said that Chipotle often works with University meal programs and would be willing to accept GWorld if selected to establish a venue on campus.