Job Hunting Guide: Internet opens the door to employment

For many GW students, the year doesn’t end with finals.

A summer without class means opportunities to acquire extra income and added experience for a future career. Increasingly, college students are turning to Internet resources to find openings for jobs and internships that provide such opportunities. Finding a job, once a tedious, paperwork-laden process, is now as simple as checking e-mail.

The Web site www.monster.com is one of the leaders of the pack of upstart Internet job-search engines. The Web site’s ad campaign promotes the site as an alternative to the office cubicle option that offers unique jobs that lead to more diverse, more satisfying careers.

The site also boasts features such as resum?-building guides, a career advice center and regular online chats allow users to speak with advisers in real-time.

I can get a lot of information without having to pay for it, and I don’t have to leave the house, junior Andrea Cerbin said about the chats. Cerbin said finding a short-term job using Monster.com is difficult because the site has a tendency to over-emphasize tech jobs.

Other sites tout listings for internships available nationwide. The Riley Guide, www.dbm.com/jobguide, voted Best Job Hunting Tutorial by Yahoo!, offers links to national internship sites as well as regional search engines.

Once the process of finding a job is complete, many students must find a place to live during the summer months. Many Web sites offer exclusive online apartment listings. Among these, www.apartments.com garnered approval from some students.

I’ve been using (Apartments.com) for the past few weeks, and it’s led me to check out four or five great places, said Ed Brant, a freshman in search of summer housing.

The site boasts a comprehensive list of apartments in the D.C. area, along with information databases for each individual apartment provided by their respective property managers. For most selections, the site offers 3-D QuickTime movies that simulate an open house walk-around.

Other sites, such as www.rent.net and www.housing101.net offer similar listings.